Education & Training
RCI is the only national institute to integrate both professional and family caregiver issues in research, education and advocacy agendas. Former First Lady Rosalynn Carter’s chief concern is that if caregivers – family or professional – are suffering, the quality of care they provide to others and to themselves is compromised. Through the RCI’s academic, scholarship, and education and training programs, we seek to enhance the quality of care provision as well as enhance the quality of life for all caregivers and those they provide care to.
RCI Training Center for Excellence
As community agencies are seeking proven effective supports for the caregivers they serve, the need for easily accessible and affordable training in evidence-based caregiver interventions is growing. In response to this growing need, the Rosalynn Carter Institute for Caregiving has launched the RCI Training Center for Excellence.
Statistics show that the gap in numbers between those who will need caregiving and those who will be available to provide caregiving is alarming. We need to prepare our current and future paid caregivers by equipping them with the tools they will need to be caring and competent in their careers while protecting their own health and well-being. RCI provides:
- The Caregiving Issues and Management Certificate Program – an interdisciplinary program designed to foster understanding of the caregiving field through the exploration of the journey of a caregiver, evidenced-based caregiver support programs, vulnerable populations needing caregivers, and culturally appropriate approaches to caregiving.
- Scholarship and Fellowship opportunities to Georgia Southwestern State University students as well as family, professional, or paraprofessional caregivers of any age from anywhere in the U. S. who are seeking additional training or educational opportunities.
Education and Training Products for Family and Professional Caregivers
For many, caring for a chronically ill family member is “the right thing to do”, but it is also often a source of emotional hardship, physical stress, and social isolation. In response, skill-building, coping, and psycho-educational programs have emerged to help caregivers meet the changes and challenges in their – as well as the patients’ – lives .
- The RCI Caregiving Book Series aims to educate and inform students in caregiving-related fields as well as professional caregivers.
- Caring for You, Caring for Me: Education and Support for Family and Professional Caregivers, 3rd Edition is the RCI’s signature, evidence-informed program that addresses the needs of family and professional caregivers by bringing them together in a relaxed setting to discuss common issues, share ideas, and gain a better understanding of each other’s perspective on what it means to be a caregiver.
- Dealing with Dementia guide is a comprehensive reference tool for family and professional caregivers.
- 10 Tips for Caregivers is a 24-page booklet that is a compilation of our best advice for caregivers.